Donley County, Texas
Donley County, in the eastern Panhandle just east of the Llano Estacado, is bordered on the north by Gray County, on the west by Armstrong County, on the east by Collingsworth County, and on the south by Briscoe and Hall counties.
Cities, Towns & Communities
First Donley County Courthouse (Replica). Soon after founding in 1878 of Clarendon Colony by the Rev. Lewis H. Carhart, workers were brought from Vermont to quarry local stone and erect 2-story structure for hotel, stagecoach stand, and public meeting hall. With organization of Donley County, April 11, 1882, Clarendon was named county seat. The hotel became (and remained for years) the first courthouse-- and third courthouse in entire Panhandle of Texas. It served settlers in an 8,000 square mile area, since eight unorganized counties were for years attached for judicial purposes to Donley County. Historical Marker text, 1967.
Donley County Courthouse. Designed by the architectural firm of Bulger and Rapp, and built by Troutman Brothers Contractors, both of Trinidad, Colorado, this distinctive public building opened in November 1891. The original Romanesque Revival design included prominent towers, contrasting red brick and quarried limestone, and complex projecting elements. Work in the 1930s resulted in removal of the entire third floor, as well as many architectural details. The county restored the courthouse to its original splendor and rededicated it on July 4, 2003. Today, it is the oldest functioning courthouse in the Texas Panhandle. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 2006. Marker location: 300 S. Sully Street, Clarendon.
Donley County Courthouse
300 S. Sully
Clarendon, TX 79226
County Clerk - Fay Vargas
PO Drawer U
Clarendon, TX 79226
FAX (806) 874-3351
Donley County. Formed from Young and Bexar territories; Created August 21, 1876; Organized March 22, 1882; Named in honor of Stockton P. Donley 1821-1871; a Confederate officer elected to the Texas Supreme Bench in 1866; Clarendon, the County Seat. Historical Marker text, 1936 - Centennial Marker. Marker location: In roadside park, at intersection of U.S. 287 & S.H. 70 on west side of Clarendon.
Donley County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
Donley County: Land O' Promise, 1975, by Virginia Browder.