Edwards County, Texas
Edwards County is located in Southwest Texas east of the Big Bend country and 100 miles west of San Antonio. It is bordered by Val Verde and Sutton counties to the west and north, Kimble and Kerr counties to the northeast and east, Real and Uvalde counties to the southeast, and Kinney county to the south.
Cities, Towns & Communities
Barksdale | Carta Valley | Rocksprings (Rock Springs) - county seat
When Edwards County was organized in 1883, the town of Bullhead (now called Vance) was selected as the county seat. In 1884, Leakey became the county seat. A new courthouse was built in 1883, which burned in 1888. In 1891, Rocksprings became the county seat. In 1913, Real County was organized out of southeastern Edwards County, both Bullhead and Leakey were in the portion of Edwards County that became Real County. Leakey then became the county seat of Real County.
The current Edwards County courthouse was built in 1891. In 1898 it was destroyed by fire, with only the outer walls remaining. The building was rebuilt. In 1927, a tornado swept through Rocksprings killing 70 people and destroying much of the town. The roof of the courthouse was damaged. The courthouse served as a refuge for the tornado victims. Photo of tornado damage, above, shows courthouse in far center back. Click on photo to view an enlargement.
More on the Edwards County Courthouse.
Edwards County Courthouse from Texas Escapes.
Edward County Courthouse
P. O. Box 184
Rocksprings, Texas 78880
Edwards County. Formed from Bexar County; created February 1, 1858. Organized September 10, 1883. Named in honor of Haden Edwards 1771-1849. Empresario leader of the Fredonian War in 1827. County seat, Leakey 1883 Rocksprings, since 1890. Historical Marker text, 1936. Marker location: from Rocksprings take US Highway 377 north approximately 2 miles.
Edwards County. Atop the Edwards Plateau, extending into the scenic Nueces Valley. Angora goat capital of the world. The economy is based on ranching. Wild game is abundant. Created in 1858 and organized 1883 from old Bexar district. Named for Haden Edwards (1813-1865), an early leader and colonizer in Texas. First county seat was Leakey; present boundaries were created, and county seat was moved on April 13, 1891, to Rocksprings. First courthouse and jail were built that year. After a fire in 1897, the present courthouse was erected; it withstood a destructive tornado that claimed 72 lives in the county in 1927. First officials to serve the county (1891-1893) as it is presently constituted were the following: James M. Hunter, County Judge; W. M. Sanford, County and District Clerk; Ira L. Wheat, Sheriff and Tax Collector; S.A. Hough, County Attorney; W.H. Cowan, County Treasurer County Commissioners: John Eaton, Precinct No. 1; C. H. Kirchner, Precinct No. 2; H. Schweithelm, Precinct No. 3; M. M. Bradford, Precinct No. 4 (1967) Historical Marker text. Marker location: south end of courthouse square, Rocksprings.
Edwards County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
A History of Edwards County, 1984, by the Rocksprings Woman's Club Historical Committee.
Rocksprings, TX 30° 0' 56.754" N, 100° 12' 19.2888" W