Skip to Content
Javascript is required to view this map.

El Paso County, Texas

El Paso County is the westernmost county of Texas. Bounded on the southwest by the Rio Grande and Mexico, on the north and west by the state of New Mexico, and on the east by Hudspeth County, Texas, El Paso County is approximately 650 miles west of Dallas and 575 miles northwest of San Antonio. El Paso County and neighboring Hudspeth County are the only Texas counties on Mountain Time.

Cities, Towns & Communities

Anthony | Clint | El Paso - county seat | Fabens | Horizon City | San Elizario | Socorro | Vinton | Ysleta

Courthouses

El Paso county has had three county seats: San Elizario, 1850-1866, Ysleta, 1866-1868, San Elizario, 1868-1873, Ysleta, 1873-1883, El Paso, 1883-present. 

The first courthouse, shown at right, was built at San Elizario in 1850.  In 1935, this building was being used as a school house.

Courthouses were built in Ysleta in 1866 and 1871.  In 1882 a small two story sandstone Courthouse, measuring only 140'x280' was built in Ysleta.  After El Paso became the county seat, the building was used for a school.

El Paso became the county seat in 1883 and the Monarch Business Block, shown at left, a two story brick building in downtown El Paso was used as a temporary courthouse from 1884-1886.  A Grand Second Empire Style Courthouse, shown below left and at the top of the page, bottom right, designed by Architect Alfred Giles was built in 1886. This building was torn down in 1918, to make room for Liberty Hall, an auditorium. 

In 1917, shown top of the page, left, right, and bottom left,  a Classic Revival style courthouse, designed by Henry Charles Trost opened.  This building was extensively remodeled in 1955, changing the look and the height of the building. 

The 1917 courthouse was demolished in 1992, after the opening of the current (and seventh El Paso County courthouse) in 1991, a glass and steel structure, shown below.

El Paso County Courthouse History

El Paso County Courthouse
County Clerk's Office  website
500 E. San Antonio, Suite 105
El Paso, Texas 79901
(915) 546-2071
Fax (915) 546-2012 Main Office
Fax (915) 543-3806 Vital Records Department

El Paso County Government website

History

El Paso County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.

The City and county of El Paso, Texas : containing useful and reliable information concerning the future great metropolis of the Southwest ... 1886, El Paso Bureau of Information. Digital book online from archive.org.

The Land Where We Live: El Paso del Norte, 1973, by Conrey Bryson.

Pass of the North: Four Centuries on the Rio Grande, 2 vols., 1968, 1980, by Charles Leland Sonnichsen.

El Paso: A Borderlands History, 1990, by W. H. Timmons.

Souvenir of the city of El Paso, Texas. Photo-gravures.  Digital book online at archive.org.

San Elizario, 1973, by Eugene O. Porter.

The El Paso Salt War, 1877, published in 1957 by Charles Leland Sonnichsen. Digital book on line at archive.org.

Forty years at El Paso, 1858-1898; recollections of war, politics, adventure, events, narratives, sketches, etc., 1901 by W. W. Mills  Digital book online at The Portal to Texas History.

Vital Records

El Paso County Death Records Search from EPCounty.com, the official county government website.

El Paso County Birth Records Search from EPCounty.com, the official county government website.

El Paso County Marriage Records Search from EPCounty.com, the official county government website

Location

El Paso, TX 31° 45' 31.392" N, 106° 29' 12.9516" W