Floyd County, Texas
Floyd County is located on U.S. Highway 70 northeast of Lubbock in the High Plains region of the Panhandle. The county is bordered on the north by Swisher and Briscoe counties, on the east by Motley County, on the south by Crosby County, and on the west by Hale County.
Cities, Towns & Communities
Floyd County's first courthouse, built in 1892, was a 48'x48' frame structure, designed by architect J. N. Smith. It served the county until 1911, when a brick Classic Revival style courthouse with a bell tower and clock was opened. This building was torn down in 1950, after the opening of the current Modern-style courthouse.
Floyd County Courthouse
County Clerk – Marilyn Holcomb
100 Main St.
Floydada, TX 79325
Floyd County was created 21 Aug 1876 from Bexar Land District. Floyd county was attached to Donley County for administrative purposes until 1890, when Floyd County was organized. Floyd City was named as the county seat in 1890. The town's name changed to Floydada in 1892.
Organization of Floyd County. Floyd County was created by the Texas Legislature in 1876. The Fort Worth and Denver City Railway Company began building westward from Wichita Falls, resulting in increased settlement of the area. Ranchers T. J. Braidfoot and J. R. McLain formed a partnership in 1887 to establish a town they hoped to promote as county seat. Named Della Plain, it soon boasted homes, businesses, and civic institutions. As more homesteaders settled northwest of Della Plain, a town named Lockney was created in 1889. Soon there was rivalry over which town would be named county seat. In 1890 M. C. Williams and J. K. Gwynn selected this site for a town called Floyd City. In an election held on May 28, 1890, the voters chose Floyd City as county seat. Officers elected were: Arthur B. Duncan, County Judge; John C. Hendrix, County Attorney; R. T. Miller, County and District Clerk; D. W. Jenkins, Sheriff and Tax Collector; E. E. Keeley, County Treasurer; L. C. Darby, Tax Assessor; W. M. Massie, Surveyor; and C. F. Ramsey, T. B. Michael, W. R. Vandeveer, and B. P. Merrell, County Commissioners. When a post office was established in September, the name of the town was changed to Floydada. Historical Marker text, 1990. Marker located on the Courthouse lawn.
Floyd County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
Early History of Floyd County, 1947, by Claude V. Hall. Read the book on line from the Portal to Texas History.
History of Floyd County, 1876–1979, published in 1979, by Floyd County Historical Museum.
Floyd County Library
111 S. Wall St
Floydada, TX 79235
Lockney Branch Library
118 N. Main
Lockney, TX 79241
Floyd County Historical Museum
Mary Lou Bollman Genealogy Center
105 E. Missouri St.,
Floydada, TX 79241
Floyd County Deaths 1914-1999 from the Floyd County TXGenWeb site