Freestone County, Texas
Freestone County is located in east central Texas in the center of a group of counties once known as the Trinity Star. It is bounded on the east by Anderson County, on the south by Leon County, on the west by Limestone County, and on the north by Navarro and Henderson counties.
Cities, Towns & Communities
Baty | Beene | Blunt | Bonner | Bowling | Brewster | Butler | Cobb | Cotton Gin | Coutchman | Dew (Avant, Avant Prairie, Drew, Durham, Sunshine) | Donie | Driver | Fairfield (Mound Prairie) - county seat | Flowerdale | Freestone | Goetz | Harp | Israel | Ivory | Keechil | Kirvin | Lakeport | Laney | Long Bottom | Luna | Mills | Milton | Morehead | Mount Zion | Pinoak | Pyburn | Shanks | St. Elmo | Starling | Streetman (partly in Navarro County) | Steward's Mill | Stonewall | Teague | Troy | Turlington | Valota | Wakefield | West Point | Winkler | Wortham | Yedell | Yerby | Young
Freestone County has been home two four courthouse. The first three were constructed in 1851, 1855, 1891. The current courthouse, a 4-story brick building with classic details, was built in 1919.
Freestone County Courthouse
County Clerk - Linda Jarvis
103 E Main
P O Box 1010
Fairfield, TX 75840
Freestone County Government Website
Freestone County. Formed from Limestone County; created September 6, 1850; organized January 6, 1851. So named from the nature of its stone. County seat, Fairfield. Formerly known as Mound Prairie. Historical marker text, 1936 Centennial Marker. Marker location: Commerce St. between Mount and Keechi St., Fairfield.
Freestone County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
History of Freestone County, Texas,1978, by the Freestone County Historical Commission.
A Memorial and Biographical History of Navarro, Henderson, Anderson, Limestone, Freestone and Leon Counties, Texas, 1883. Digital book on line from The Portal to Texas History.
Fairfield, TX 31° 43' 28.6068" N, 96° 9' 54.8928" W