Gray County, Texas
Gray County is located in the central part of the Panhandle and the eastern edge of the High Plains, bound on the north by Roberts County, on the east by Wheeler County, on the south by Donley County, and on the west by Carson County.
Cities, Towns & Communities
Gray County has been home to two courthouses. The first one, built in 1902, in Lefors, was used as a private residence after Pampa became the county seat in 1928. The current Gray County courthouse, a four-story stone and cast structure, was built in 1928. It was restored in 2003 and is a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark. A courthouse annex was built in 1959. It was destroyed by tornado in 1970 and rebuilt.
Gray County Courthouse. A fine example of a beaux arts courthouse with Georgian ornamentation, this structure was erected after the county seat was moved from Lefors in 1928. The edifice was designed by W. R. Kaufman & Son of Amarillo and built by Harland L. Case & Co. of Pampa. It was dedicated on April 19, 1930. Built upon a foundation of Indiana limestone, the steel frame and many windows give a modern look to the traditional beaux arts style. Kaufman designed Pampa's city hall and fire station in a similar style. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1997.
Gray County Courthouse
County Clerk - Susan Winborne
P.O. Box 1902
Pampa, TX 79066
Gray County Government website
Gray County. Formed from Young and Bexar Territories; Created August 21, 1876; Organized May 27, 1902; Named in Honor of Peter W. Gray 1819-1874; Member of the First Legislature of Texas; Member of the Confederate Congress; Appointed to the Texas Supreme Bench in 1874; County Seat, Lefors, 1902; Pampa, Since 1928. Historical marker text, 1936 Centennial Marker. Marker location: From Pampa, go 2 miles east on U.S. 60.
Gray County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
Gray County Bicentennial Observance, 1776–1976: Souvenir Program
For the Reason We Climb Mountains - Gray County, 1902–1982, 1982 by Elleta Nolte.
Gray County Heritage, 1985, by Gray County History Book Committee.