Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Real County, Texas
Cities, Towns & Communities
Real County has had two courthouses: a temporary one erected on the square in 1913 and the current courthouse, erected in 1917. The courthouse was remodelled in the 1950s and at other times. The Ransom Courthouse Annex Building was completed in 1978 and houses many courthouse functions.
Real County Courthouse. Leakey was the county seat of Edwards County from 1883 to 1891 when a vote moved the seat to Rocksprings. Real County, named for businessman and State Senator Julius Real, was organized from parts of Edwards, Kerr and Bandera counties in April 1913. Leakey was named the county seat and a temporary building was erected on the square. Controversy over the site of the county seat continued for several years, so Judge D. D. Thompson began planning for a permanent courthouse upon his election in 1917. Voters approved bonds to finance a permanent structure. The bonds were financed through Hanover National Bank of New York. Architect H. A. Reuter designed the 1918 courthouse, and the firm of McCreary and Schott served as contractors. According to oral history, a local builder known as "Scotty" Archibald made a significant contribution, as well. E. F. Vanderbilt was construction superintendent. Using native limestone quarried from Tucker Hollow near the site, workers erected Reuter's vision of a Classical Revival edifice with a fortress-like façade. The rusticated limestone bands were laid in regular courses with quicklime bonding to create the building's texture and solid feel. A stone pediment with simple cornice topped by a standing seam metal roof contributes to the building's character. Renovations and additions made in 1978 transformed the original doors into large central windows with flat arch and transoms. The fine structure retains its original flavor and distinctive features and remains the center of Real County government. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2000.
Real County Courthouse
County Clerk - Bella A. Rubio
P. O. Box 750
Leakey, TX 78873
Real County Government Website
The county was named for Julius Real, the only Republican in the Texas Senate when the Real county was formed in 1913.
Real County. Located on the Edwards Plateau, Real County is in an area of rolling terrain broken by the canyons of the Frio River. Because of raids by Comanche, Apache, and Lipan Apache Indians, white settlement was hindered until after 1881. Mission San Lorenzo de La Santa Cruz was founded by the Spanish in 1762 near present Camp Wood. The county was created on April 3, 1913, from Edwards, Kerr, and Bandera counties: organized on July 26, 1913, it was named in honor of Julius Real (1860-1944), a prominent businessman and state senator, 1909-1914 and 1924-1928. Leakey, the county seat, was established by John Leakey (1824-1900), a pioneer settler in the region. Historical Marker text. 1936.
Real County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
Real County Public Library
225 Main St
Leakey, TX 78873
(830) 232-5199 website
Camp Wood Public Library
106 Nueces St
Camp Wood, TX 78833
Leakey, TX 29° 43' 43.806" N, 99° 45' 41.2128" W